Monday, September 5, 2011

Dennis O'Neil's tips, Human Erasers and Danny Husk

Here's a new page for Tomb of the Undead, No. 56. from the scene Just a little escape. Check it out!Evelyn and Dr. Miller disembark their flight to face whatever consequences Dr. Starkwood has put in place for them in Just a little escape
It's been difficult having characters confined in small spaces, going from offices to apartments to airplanes - they're limited, which makes things claustrophobic.I hope you can get the sense of tight spaces and confinement in these pages.

In graphic novel news, I've found some cool links with graphic novel writing advice, a neat graphic novel premise and a quick review of a new novel. So check it out.

How to write comics and graphic novels by Dennis O'Neil 
Bleedingcool.com
Dennis O'Neil
(Serial graphic novels) seem too encourage sloppy technique, characters and conflicts not established or reestablished and a slow plod toward a climax that may not be known to the writer when he begins the project. And, because of publishing realities, our scribe may not have the luxury of rewriting when he belatedly realizes that he has problems.

What's a fella to do?

...[S]tart with the story and then figure out how much space you?ll need to tell it. Some guesswork is implicit here, but let's not have the whole shebang guesswork.

There should be a major change, development or reverse in every installment. Don't just show us your characters unless we get to see them moving the plot along.

Have a destination in mind before you take the first step. I don't want to be overly doctrinaire about this. As your story progresses, you may have second/third/fourth thoughts about how it might best conclude, and you might be able to shape the narrative to accommodate the new brainstorm(s). But unless you have planned some destination, aren't you afraid you might flounder? I mean, Columbus never got to the Indies, but he wouldn't have gotten anywhere if he hadn't been looking for them.

Dennis O'Neil teaches a ten week course on Writing Comics And Graphic Novels at the New York University.
Click to read more.

I like this idea - I'm obviously not selling my script - and it's taken me ages to put it together, but having the script was way more important than just drawing cool pictures. I've done some comics back when I was a kid and I just filled 14-page little books with pictures and a loosely thrown together story that might or might not get anywhere before the end of the book.

Having a script ready to roll is way better - though I find pacing it out so it wraps up at the end of a page can be a bit of a challenge. I like to keep the scenes a bit shorter - too many pages and it takes too long to get a scene done and I lose interest in even making it, let alone someone else reading it ...

After some great writing tips - how about a great story idea?:

Human Eraser idea ...
Brett Davidson
Comicbookmovie.com
Do you wonder what happened to good comic book characters? I am trying to write some of my own comic/graphic novel, which are called The Human Eraser.
Prologue- Memories:
I sat in my bed as I thought about what just happened. Was it a dream, or was it real life? The days are beginning to mix together. On one day I'll have a target, the next I sit in the same cold, dark alley that I started this dirty job in.
My hands tremble each time I see my reflection in a puddle that lays next to me. After each mission, I find splatters of blood on my mask. I use to clean the blood off for a while, but then something in me snapped. The human juice became a trophy to me, almost like war paint. The memories began to stain my mind after the first few times. I don't even remember my mother anymore, not like I would want to though, yet I find that any memory is a good memory...That's all about to change.

CHAPTER 1- Blood never washes away:

....To be continued.
Pretty cool. I'm going to follow this site on Twitter: @ComicBook_Movie

And here's someone who's a famous
Thompson brings 'Kids in the Hall' straightman to comics
Shaun Manning
www.comicbookresources.com
With the soaring popularity in mustaches over the last few years, it was perhaps inevitable that Danny Husk should return. The straight-laced middle manager, played on "Kids in the Hall" by Scott Thompson, is set to make the jump to comics with IDW and Frozen Beach Studios publishing "Danny Husk: The Hollow Planet," an original graphic novel by Thompson, writer Stephan Nilson and newcomer artist Kyle Morton. A preview book was available at Comic-Con International in San Diego and the full graphic novel will see release in October.
Thompson, a founding member of the Kids in the Hall troupe, was best known on the television series for roles like Danny Husk, the flamboyant Buddy Cole and Queen Elizabeth II. He continues to tour with the group and appeared in the recent television miniseries "Kids in the Hall: Death Comes to Town" despite the fact that he was battling cancer throughout its production. Thompson has since reported a full recovery.
"Danny Husk: The Hollow Planet" looks to put the titular hero in new and dangerous circumstances, propelling him into a world where his ordinariness makes him anything but. CBR News caught up with Thompson for a few more details on the project.
Click to read more

For the record, I was going to link to a Toronto Star article about this - but they gushed entirely over seeing Scott Thompson, and said absolutely nothing about Danny Husk - therefore they got cut. The Star's loss is Comicbookresources' gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, I am glad you have taken the time to leave a comment. Thanks - I am looking forward to reading it.