Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tuff stough

So I have every intention of writing a new page of the script every day - but I'm finding that the hardest part is when you set your screenplay/story in a foreign place that you don't know anything about. 

Case in point, I've got to figure out where in Turkey I'm going to place some of these scenes and events BUT I literally know nothing about Turkey (though I've learned a bit in the last little while, at least a bit about its geography). In these instances, it becomes a significant barrier - and that gives you enough reason to take a break (and that's the worst thing you can do when you're having trouble getting going!)

Anyhow - through yesterday's research with google maps, I've found  a strong candidate for the location and setting of the opening scenes, which is great. I've even read through a few old scripts so I can get the feel and taste for writing in that format, too. All I can recommend is, use Google Maps to check out the Eiffel Tower - it's to the southwest of Paris in a park - use the "satellite" view to get the details. 

Go ahead - check it out






It's HUGE, right? I was astonished to see how massive that thing is!

Also astonished that the Turkish geography is absolutely alien to me - plus, I realized that for the last few months, I've had Pakistan and the Sudan mixed up in my brain. Jeez. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there, I am glad you have taken the time to leave a comment. Thanks - I am looking forward to reading it.